CFP: EDGY: The sixteenth annual LGBTQ+ History and Archives Conference
Submission deadline: Today
The conference will explore ideas of OUTSIDER HISTORY and is focused on opening up ideas, discussion and inspiring action around these types of questions:
· The margins can be a powerful place rather than a place of exclusion. But what happens when people get excluded from mainstream memory through lack of resources or time?
· What happens when Outsider History strives to become part of the centre?
· Is Outsider History compelled to be part of the mainstream because of the ‘cultural juggernaut’ effect – sources of funding, powerful groups and organisations sweeping things before them?
· What happens when Outsider History resists?
· How does LGBTQ+ history get defined or explained? Are aspects of LGBTQ+ history obscured in an effort to make things palatable and acceptable to a wider audience? What drives this?
· Can Outsider History influence and change the way LGBTQ+ lived experience and culture is perceived at the centre?
· Is it time for people on the margins who are part of Outsider History to reclaim their dynamic story from the established timelines and approaches
· What new ways of gathering and sharing LGBTQ+ lived experience and culture strengthen and respect the outsider?
If you would like to offer a talk, a workshop, run a stall, show a film or anything else which explores and celebrates EDGINESS, MARGINS, OUTSIDERS, ALTERNATIVES and RESISTANCE then get in touch with your idea by 25 September 2018.
Send your ideas to Jan Pimblett at the London Metropolitan Archives: Jan.Pimblett@cityoflondon.gov.uk
The conference will take place at London Metropolitan Archives, 40, Northampton Road, London, EC1R 0HB on 1 December 2018.