Women’s Negotiations of Space, 1500-1900
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
A one-day interdisciplinary conference: 18th January 2018: University of Hull
Call for Papers
Date: Thursday 18th January 2018 (9.30am to 5pm, to be followed by a wine reception and conference dinner)
Location: University of Hull
Keynote Speakers: Dr Ruth Larsen (University of Derby) and Dr Nicola Whyte (University of Exeter)
This one-day conference, organised by PhD students from the Gender, Place and Memory Research Cluster and supported by the Women’s History Network and University of Hull Graduate School aims to bring together scholars, early career researchers and postgraduate researchers working on all aspects of women’s spatial histories between 1500 and 1900. Doreen Massey argued that ‘particular ways of thinking about space and place are tied up with, both directly and indirectly, particular social constructions of gender relations.’ This conference will investigate how women have used their agency to negotiate gender constructions in space-time; and the ways in which women’s agency has been curtailed through constructed spatial limitations.
Due to generous funding from the Women’s History Network and the University of Hull Graduate School, we are able to offer a number of small travel or accommodation bursaries to PG students and ECRs. Details will be available shortly.
Possible themes include, but are not limited to, women’s roles and experiences in:
- Mobility and travel across space and life-cycles
- Domestic spaces and families
- Working and professional spaces
- Negotiations in legal spaces and engagement with the law
- Experiences of property ownership and relationships with property
- Agriculture, estate and land management
- Movements and impact on political spaces
- Social spaces and networks
- Building, renovating, and managing country houses and estates
- Geographical, social and familial networks of and between women
- Women’s histories in heritage spaces and public history: reflections and methodologies
Please send an abstract of up to 350 words for 15 minute papers, including a short biography, to the conference organisers at: firstname.lastname@example.org by 30th September 2017.
Organisers: Stormm Buxton-Hill, Helen Manning, Lizzie Rogers, Sarah Shields, Alice Whiteoak
Twitter: @womensspace18 & @Women_and_Land
Gender, Place and Memory research cluster: www.genderplaceandmemory.wordpress.com
Doreen Massey, Space, Place and Gender, (Polity Press, Cambridge, 1994), p. 2.
Who is attending?
No one has said they will attend yet.
Will you attend this event?