Brexit in Context: History, Politics and Society
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
Keynote Speaker: Professor Glen O’Hara (Oxford Brookes University)
In June 2016, Britain voted to leave the European Union. One year after this momentous decision, this one one-day symposium will bring together established academics, early career researchers and others with informed views from wider society, to discuss the unfolding implications of such a historic development. Contributors will explore the many ways we can better understand the historical, political and social contexts of Britain’s decision to leave the European Union. It encourages presentations to engage with issues such as:
- The impact of Brexit on British political parties
- The historical contexts of Brexit, and Britain’s changing relationship with Europe
- The history and current dynamics of populist, anti-elite and ‘outsider’ politics in Britain
- Trends in support for, and fear of, immigration, past and present
- Brexit and its significance for different social classes
- Gendered notions of Brexit, and its potential impact
- British constitutional issues and the significance of Brexit
- Public attitudes towards the advice and predictions of ‘experts’
- War, peace and shared memories of European identity in the context of Brexit
- What Brexit means for academics and universities in Britain
As well as offering a forum for new thinking on Brexit, this one-day symposium is also designed to foster debate, promote interdisciplinary and encourage the sharing of ideas and approaches. It will provide an opportunity for networking to help foster new and on-going projects engaged with the many issues posed by Brexit.
Finally, the symposium will offer an opportunity for PhD students to contribute to these debates through a research poster exhibition.
To submit a proposal for a paper or a poster, please email an word abstract and a CV / link to an online profile to: email@example.com
Extended deadline for abstracts is 28 April 2017.
(Unfortunately, we are unable to cover travel costs for speakers)
Who is attending?
No one has said they will attend yet.
Will you attend this event?