SHU Humanities Postgraduate Conference 2017 - 'Break-up: Separations, Estrangements and Disjunctions'
Sheffield Hallam Students' Union
Sheffield S1 2QQ
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
On the 1st and 2nd of June SHSU Postgraduate Research Students’ Society will be hosting the first Sheffield Hallam Postgraduate Humanities Conference. The theme for the conference will be 'Break-up: Separations, Estrangements and Disjunctions.’
This conference seeks to explore the vast array of expressions of separation in history, culture, art and social practice, across personal and collective experiences of severance, divisions and establishments of difference. It will seek to cross-reference disciplinary, thematic and contextual interpretations and examinations by providing a forum for a diverse range of research projects to be compared, and ideas to be exchanged, between postgraduate researchers from a range of disciplinary backgrounds that may be fundamentally different in terms of method and practice but across which the themes to be discussed are relevant.
Indicative themes of interest to the conference may include:
- Narratives of partings, abandonments, leaving and being left behind
- Iconographies and imagery of severance, departure, division
- Geopolitical separations – Shaping and breaking polities, states, empires, alliances
- Cultural rifts, splits and transformations, subcultures, origins of difference
- Political institutions – church and state, monarchy and government, nationalisation or privatisation
- Social difference, division, conflict – contemporary and historical
- Discourse and interpretation – poetics and hermeneutics of separation
- Contemporary social, political and economic separations
- Narratives of reunited or reconciled differences and division
Our Call for Papers is now open, with a deadline of 21st February 2017. Applications should take the form of a 300-word abstract and 100-word biography. These requirements can be adapted to the creative medium most appropriate to practice based applicants. Inquiries and applications can be made to email@example.com while further information and announcements will be made at postgradgroupshu.wordpress.com and via our Twitter account @shsuprss.
This is a student event (e.g. a graduate conference).
Today, 12:00pm BST
Who is attending?
No one has said they will attend yet.
Will you attend this event?