CFP: Splendid Encounters V: Diplomats and Diplomacy in the Early Modern World
Submission deadline: March 15, 2016
September 29, 2016 - October 1, 2016
Institute of History in the Faculty of Arts and Philosophy, University of Pardubice, Institutes of Art History, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
Praha , Czech Republic
Splendid Encounters is a series of international and interdisciplinary conferences that aim to bring together scholars from the broadest possible range of perspectives to consider diplomacy and diplomatic activities in the early modern era. After successful meetings in Warsaw, Bath, Florence and Budapest, we wish to invite you to join us for another event, hosted by the Institute of History in the Faculty of Arts and Philosophy at the University of Pardubice and the Institutes of Art History and History of the Czech Academy of Sciences in Prague.
The upcoming conference, Splendid Encounters V: Diplomats and Diplomacy in the Early Modern World, will focus on the evolution of diplomatic practice as both a career and an identity, not only through the lives of ambassadors, residents, agents, and consuls, but also secretaries and other members of embassies in administrative and bureaucratic roles.
We welcome all submissions on this subject, both for individual papers and panels (comprising three papers) that address:
• The daily activities of diplomats
• The prosopography of different groups of diplomats
• Diplomacy as a career in early modern period
• The role and organisation of diplomatic households
• Diplomatic networks (professional, personal, cultural, etc.)
• The self-fashioning of diplomats
• Diplomats and the establishment of international law (solving conflicts, diplomatic immunity, etc.)